Day 1 - Arrive Beijing
Day 2 - Beijing walking tour
Day 3 - Exploring Beijing
Day 4 - Beijing to Gubeikou, commence Great Wall trek
Day 5 - Gubeikou to Beijing and train to Xian
Day 6 - Xian and the Terracotta Warriors
Day 7 - Xian to Chengdu
Day 8 - Chengdu and the Panda Sanctuary
Day 9 - Guilin and Yangshuo
Day 10- Cycling the Yangshuo hinterland
Day 11 - Free day in Yangshuo
Day 12 - Trip concludes Hong Kong
Day 1: Arrive Beijing
Arriving into one of the world’s most vibrant cities, you will make your own way to the hotel. After meeting our local guide and your fellow Yomads travellers during an afternoon rendezvous, we spend the evening exploring the surrounding area.
Day 2: Walking tour of Beijing
After a leisurely breakfast we head out on foot to see some of Beijing’s majestic sights including Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. We'll discover the backstreets, also known as hutongs, that are alive with street stalls and hidden temples. Your guide will recommend a few of the small local restaurants in the hutongs where some of the best food in China can be sampled.
Day 3: Free day in Beijing
The day is yours to explore Beijing. Our recommendations are:
- Discover the Summer Palace and Lama Temple
- Attend the Beijing Opera, Legend of Gongfu, or acrobatic performance
- Visit the Temple of Heaven
- Feast at the great restaurant at Beihai Park
- Enjoy a traditional massage
Day 4: Beijing to Gubeikou, Great Wall trek
After breakfast we travel in our private bus to Gubeikou. This is a great area to undertake some hiking on the Great Wall with its original appearance maintained. Unlike other “wild” sections of the Great Wall, Gubeikou has some historical sites such as temples and temporary imperial palaces and has been ranked as one of the best hiking and photography sections of the wall. In the evening we are treated to a special homestay experience with local farmers providing an excellent insight into life in rural China.
Meals: B, D
Day 5: Gubeikou to Beijing, train to Xian
A must do experience when in China is an overnight train trip. We return from Gueikou to Beijing after completing the Great Wall trek and board our overnight carriage. Tonight we fall asleep to the gentle sway of the tracks before our early morning arrival into the city of Xian.
Day 6: Xian and the Terracotta Warriors
After checking into the hotel there’s time to relax before paying a visit to the iconic Terracotta Warriors. The remainder of the day is yours to explore Xian, and our recommended options include:
- Wander through the narrow streets of the Muslim quarter to chime into prayer call from the Great Mosque and sample the cuisine
- Visit the Bell & Drum Towers
- Stroll along the old city walls drinking in the splendid past of Xian
Day 7: Xian to Chengdu and Kuang Zai Xiang
The morning is spent at leisure, giving you time to continue exploring Xian. We highly recommend cycling along the Old City Wall. Our other suggestions for your free time are:
- Discover the Big Wild Goose Pagoda
- Brush up on traditions at the Shanxi History Museum
- Enjoy a dumpling banquet and learn more about the Tang Dynasty
We later depart on a short flight to Chengdu. Upon arrival, we settle in at the hotel and learn our way around the Kuang Zai Xiang area.
Day 8: Chengdu and the Panda Sanctuary
The Panda Sanctuary will be a highlight of today as we get close to these beautiful bears. The facility has not only dedicated itself to giant panda conservations but has also made great efforts to combine natural scenery and man-made landscapes to create wonderful living areas for giant pandas, red pandas, and other endangered Chinese animals.
Day 9: Guilin and Yangshuo
The morning is free for you to continue exploring Chengdu. In the afternoon, we'll transfer to the airport for a flight to Guilin and the legendary Yangshuo that has inspired Chinese poets and artists for centuries.
Day 10: Cycling the Yangshuo hinterland
Yangshuo, and idyllic town set amidst limestone pinnacles and rice paddies, is the setting of today's cycle. The surrounding region is beautiful, spotted with small villages and imposing karst rock formations. The cycle route we follow leads us along undulating roads to the Moon Hill area and to lunch at a local farmer's house. There will also be time to explore the village itself, known to have fantastic shopping, restaurants, and a lively ambiance.
Meals: B, L
Day 11: Free day in Yangshuo
The day is free for you to discover the many opportunities of Yangshuo. Our recommendations are:
- Further explore Western Street, famous for its distinctive bars, restaurants, and hotels that are full of exotic atmosphere
- Visit Xingping Ancient Town, famed for the beautiful mountains and rivers
- Take a mud bath, also called a natural baptism
- Participate in a cooking class and market tour to learn traditional Yangshuo dishes
- Enjoy a cruise on the Li River or a Liu San Jie Lighting Show
Day 12: Trip concludes Hong Kong
The trip concludes after breakfast when you'll transfer to the train station and board the train from Guilin to Shenzhen North and Futian. From here, you'll make your own way to Hong Kong to explore its world of nightlife, history, and markets. There is no shortage of adventure here, and our recommendations for your time in Hong Kong are:
- Experience the light show at Victoria Harbour
- Take in the views from Ngong Ping (cable car)
- Travel to Victoria Peak by tram or see the sights from the Star Ferry
- Visit Ocean Park and Disney Land