Day 1: Arrive Beijing
Arriving into one of the world’s most vibrant cities, you will make your own way to the hotel. Later, join your local guide and group of Yomads travellers for an afternoon welcome meeting and spend the evening exploring the surrounding area.
Day 2: Walking tour of Beijing
After a leisurely breakfast we head out on foot to see some of Beijing’s majestic sights including Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. We'll also explore the backstreets, known as hutongs, that are alive with street stalls and hidden temples where you'll have the chance to sample some of the best food in China.
Day 3: Free day in Beijing
The day is yours to explore Beijing at your own pace. Our recommendations are:
- Discover the Summer Palace and Lama Temple
- Attend the Beijing Opera, Legend of Gongfu, or acrobatic performance
- Visit the Temple of Heaven
- Feast at the great restaurant at Beihai Park
- Enjoy a traditional massage
Day 4: To Gubeikou, Great Wall trek
After breakfast we travel to Gubeikou, a fantastic area to undertake some hiking on the Great Wall with its original appearance maintained. Unlike other “wild” sections of the Great Wall, Gubeikou has some historical sites including temples and temporary imperial palaces, earning it a ranking as one of the best hiking and photography sections of the wall. In the evening we are treated to a special homestay experience with local farmers providing unique insight into life in rural China.
Meals: B, D
Day 5: Complete Great Wall Trek, travel to Xian by train
After completing the Great Wall trek we return to Beijing and board an overnight carriage to Xian - a must do experience when in China. Tonight you'll fall asleep to the gentle sway of the tracks before our early morning arrival into the city of Xian.
Day 6: Xian and the Terracotta Warriors
After checking into the hotel there’s time to relax before paying a visit to the iconic Terracotta Warriors. The remainder of the day is yours to discover Xian where we highly recommend cycling along the Old City Wall. Our other recommendations for your time in Xian are:
- Wander through the narrow streets of the Muslim quarter to chime into prayer call from the Great Mosque and sample the cuisine
- Visit the Bell and Drum Towers
- Stroll along the old city walls drinking in the splendid past of Xian
- Discover the Big Wild Goose Pagoda
- Brush up on traditions at the Shanxi History Museum
- Enjoy a dumpling banquet and learn more about the Tang Dynasty
Day 7: Xian to Chengdu and Kuang Zai Xiang
The morning is spent at leisure before we depart on a short flight to Chengdu. Upon arrival, settle in at the hotel and learn our way around the Kuang Zai Xiang area.
Day 8: Chengdu and the Panda Sanctuary
The Panda Sanctuary will be a highlight of today as we get close to these beautiful bears. The facility has not only dedicated itself to giant panda conservations but has also made great efforts to combine natural scenery and man-made landscapes to create wonderful living areas for giant pandas, red pandas and other endangered Chinese animals.
Day 9: Guilin and Yangshuo
The morning is free for you to spend in Chengdu at leisure. In the afternoon, we'll transfer to the airport for a flight to Guilin and the legendary Yangshuo that has inspired Chinese poets and artists for centuries.
Day 10: Cycling the Yangshuo hinterland
Yangshuo, and idyllic town set amidst limestone pinnacles and rice paddies, is the setting of today's cycle. The surrounding region is beautiful, spotted with small villages and imposing rock formations. The cycle route we follow will lead you along undulating roads to the Moon Hill area and to lunch at a local farmer's house. There will also be time to explore the village itself, known to have fantastic shopping, restaurants and a lively ambiance.
Meals: B, L
Day 11: Free day in Yangshuo
The day is free for you to experience Yangshuo. Our recommendations are:
- Further explore Western Street, famous for its distinctive bars, restaurants and hotels that are full of exotic atmosphere
- Visit Xingping Ancient Town, famed for the beautiful mountains and rivers
- Take a mud bath, also called a natural baptism
- Participate in a cooking class and market tour to learn traditional Yangshuo dishes
- Enjoy a cruise on the Li River or a Liu San Jie Lighting Show
Day 12: Trip ends Hong Kong
The trip ends after breakfast when you'll transfer to the train station and board the train from Guilin to Shenzhen North and Futian. From here, you'll make your own way to Hong Kong to explore its world of nightlife, history, and markets.